Police Rescue Father Of Super Eagles Captain From Kidnappers

Michael Obi, father of Nigeria senior men’s football team captain, is recovering from trauma following his rescue from armed kidnappers by Nigerian police in a forest area in southeastern Nigeria on Monday, nearly a week after his abduction.

Police said Obi, who was rescued along with his driver, had “recovered from the trauma of the kidnap.”

Nigeria captain, Mikel Obi, in a post on his official Twitter account, thanked the Nigeria police for freeing his father, who was abducted in south-east Nigeria as he travelled to a funeral along the Makurdi-Enugu expressway from Jos, saying he was “recuperating with family.”

The Tianjin Teda midfielder was told that his father had been kidnapped and would be killed if he reported anything – just hours before Nigeria faced Argentina in their final World Cup group phase fixture.

The former Chelsea man received the shocking news as he travelled on the team bus to the stadium in St Petersburg last Tuesday. A family member called him and told him that he had to call the kidnappers on a designated number. When Mikel did so, he was ordered to pay a ransom.

The police in Nigeria were able to secure his release but Mikel said his father was tortured during a week-long ordeal and is currently receiving emergency treatment in hospital. It is the second time in seven years that the businessman has been kidnapped.

Mikel tried to put the trauma to one side and he played the 90 minutes against Argentina. Goals from Lionel Messi and Marcos Rojo handed the south Americans a 2-1 win, and the result saw Nigeria crashing out of the tournament.

“I played while my father was in the hands of bandits,” Mikel said. “I had to suppress the trauma. I took a call four hours before kick-off to tell me what had happened,” Mikel told UK’s Guardian.

“I was emotionally distraught and I had to make the decision about whether I was mentally ready to play. I was confused. I did not know what to do but, in the end, I knew that I could not let 180 million Nigerians down. I had to shut it out of my head and go and represent my country first. I could not even inform the coaches or NFF staff and only a very tight circle of my friends knew.

“I was told that they would shoot my dad instantly if I reported to the authorities or told anybody. I also did not want to discuss it with the coach [Gernot Rohr] because I did not want my issue to become a distraction to him or the rest of the team on the day of such an important game. As much as I wanted to discuss it with the coach, I could not.

“Thankfully, my father was safely released on Monday afternoon. I thank the police authorities for their rescue efforts and the support I’ve received from friends and family members. Unfortunately, my dad is now in hospital receiving emergency treatment as a result of the torture he received during his capture.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *